Saturday, August 28, 2010

Jane Austen Ruined My Life- Beth Pattillo

I picked this one up recently at my favorite local bookstore because the cover just really caught my eye.  It's a short novel, only a little over 200 pages, about a women who sets sail for England after some personal tragedy to start over and to find the lost letters of Jane Austen.  I wanted to like this book, I really did.  Honestly though I spent the whole time just wanting to smack the lead character, Emma Douglas, whose head we spend the whole story in.  She's whiny, trite and frankly ridiculous.  The story itself had great potential but the "heroine" just ruins any and all believablity the story might have had.  I wanted to have sympathy for all Emma had gone thru which had led her to embark on this quest but I just couldn't.  She spent so much of the story crying and feeling sorry for herself while ridiculously blaming Jane Austen for her problems that I could barely stomach it.  Not only was she not believable as a character, she was just annoying to have to deal with.  Add to that that the story is told in first person and her thoughts are therefore inescapable and it's frankly miraculous I even finished it. 
This is one I would pass on, especially if you prefer your chick-lit to have a strong female lead or at the least a multi-dimensional personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment